Saturday, September 11, 2010

LFO and Shakespeare

In memory of Rich Cronin, the lead singer of '90s boy-band LFO, who recently died, my friends and I decided to listen to some of the band's most famous numbers. LFO's hit West Side Story features a couple profound references to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet:

"Everyday, I see her friends talkin' 'bout me
But I know there's somethin' there that no one can see
It reminds me of Romeo and Juliet
Montague and Capulet"

This incorporation of Shakespeare into a '90s pop ballad demonstrates Shakespeare's pervasiveness in our culture. To listen to the song, click here.

1 comment:

  1. And you guys are probably too young, but does anyone remember the hit single "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits?
    Or, for that matter, "West Side Story" itself?

    ReplyDelete